For plenty of men, the grooming routine comprises solely of 3-in-1 shower gel and grooming gift sets and just the thought of using something more advanced making them roll their eyes. The truth is, everyone stands to gain from proper skincare, and reaping the benefits is surprisingly simple. In this post, we will take you through a skincare routine for men that is both simple and straightforward, and extremely effective.
1. Cleansing is the most important daily maintenance step in your skincare routine. Throughout the day, your skin is exposed to dirt, bacteria, and environmental impurities, as well as producing sebum which builds up on the surface. Cleansing removes this, helping to prevent breakouts and clogged pores.
Apply cleanser to damp skin first thing in the morning and evening, massage in for 30 to 60 seconds, and wash away. It is important to choose the right cleanser for your skin type.
2. Exfoliation serves to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and sebum from the skin. The deep clean an exfoliating product offers also penetrates into the pores and unblocks deep-lying impurities, stopping the blockages that contribute to problems like cystic spots and blackheads. For this reason, it is absolutely crucial to maintaining skin health and preventing breakouts.
If you have sensitive skin that is easily irritated, using a chemical exfoliant such as AHA, BHA or fruit enzymes rather than a scrub may be preferable for you. A lot of chemical exfoliants come in the form of a serum, so all you need to do is to massage into the clean skin and leave on to absorb. With a scrub, massage continually for approximately 30 seconds, focusing on problem areas, before washing away.
For most, exfoliating 2-3 times per week is ideal.
3. Serums are a small addition to a skincare routine that go an extremely long way. Designed to deliver intense benefits with actives even in low doses, applying between cleansing and moisturizing regularly will produce noticeable anti-aging and anti-blemish effects.
4. Moisturizer/Hydrator restores hydration to the skin, firming it and forms a protective barrier over the skin, which helps to prevent dirt from clogging the pores and guards against the bacteria responsible for outbreaks.
5. SPF is underrated. Sun damage is one of the leading causes of skin aging, as well as being a compounding factor in skin cancer in the longer term. For this reason, use an SPF before leaving the house to ensure maximum protection.
6. Everybody gets blindsided by the occasional blemish. There’s nothing you can do to guarantee you won’t be affected by them, but you can prepare for them. Use a blemish control treatment for a quick fix when you encounter one or acne control serum to prevent breakouts even before they start to think of coming to the surface.
7. If you have a beard, then beard care is skincare. Keeping your facial hair clean and hydrated with a beard shampoo, beard balms/conditioners, and beard oil will help to keep your skin in better condition.